SWG CGL - Importers, Exporters and Wholesalers: Insuring a Growing Industry
January 29, 2020
The importers, exporters, and wholesalers industry is growing in Canada. In 2018, close to 180,000 Canadian enterprises imported or exported over $1 trillion in goods. In the same year, the export of goods rose by 8.1% to a record $522.8 billion. (1)
Whether it’s inventory, cargo and transportation, commercial vehicles, or the company premises, a lot can go wrong and risks are easy to overlook. For brokers looking to enter this industry, knowing the exposures and being able to provide comprehensive coverage is key.
What Can Go Wrong
Importers, exporters and wholesalers deal with complex systems with many moving parts. As careful as owners might be, unforeseen circumstances can happen to any business.
Here are some examples:
● A business could possibly be held liable if a product it imports contributes or causes injury or illness to individuals using or consuming that product.
● Loss or damage to a company’s primary stock could result in significant financial loss and so it’s important that businesses have insurance coverage on their primary sources of revenue.
● Losses or damage can occur in transit if the company ships products internationally.
SWG CGL - Commercial General Liability insurance is designed to protect the products and/or services of small and large importer/exporter and wholesaler businesses. Our policy protects businesses from financial loss should they be liable for property damage or personal injury caused by their services, business operations, or employees. It also covers non-professional negligent acts for which the business might be responsible.
SWG CGL Coverage Highlights
SWG CGL is designed to fit the needs of a variety of businesses so that brokers can better protect their clients. That’s why this policy can be customized to protect wholesalers against any unique risks and exposures they face.
We cover industries such as:
● Food and beverage
● Machinery and equipment
● Non-critical auto parts
● Building and garden
Our policies include:
● Contractual liability
● Cross liability
● Contingent employer’s liability
● Product Completed Operations coverage (Broad Form)
● Our policies are on occurrence form, we can however also offer claims made option
● Our policies can offer enhancement coverage to include, Faulty Workmanship, Product Recall coverage, Employee Benefit, Employer’s Comprehensive Bodily Injury Liability, Sub-limits for Errors & Omissions, as well as Manufacturer’s E&O and Employment Practices Liability
● Limits up to $10,000,000
● Deductibles start at $1,000 and can be customized to the size of the business or type of operation
● Coverage can be provided for sales into the U.S. and Worldwide (percentage of U.S. and International sales are capped based on products exported)
More details are available on our website.
Content is current as of the date of broadcast and is subject to change without notice.