SWG ENVIRO: On-Site Protection with Premises Environmental Liability
March 9, 2021
Your client may need Premises Environmental Liability Insurance if they:
● operate on an industrial site,
● have on-site storage tanks, and/or
● handle potentially hazardous materials.
Premises Environmental Liability is designed to protect against both “sudden and accidental” and “gradual” pollution events, which are fairly broad terms. Here’s what each term means.
“Sudden and accidental” is interpreted to mean that the pollution event took place in its entirety and a specific time and place. Examples include a sudden spill, fire, or explosion. With “gradual” coverage, the insured does not need to worry about proving that the incident had a sudden and specific time element. However, insureds should be aware of the distinction between “unknown” pre-existing conditions and “new” conditions leading to the non-sudden and gradual pollution event. Examples include seepage over time, mould, and asbestos.
Broad and Tailored Environmental Coverage - All In One Policy
SWG ENVIRO Environmental Pollution Insurance is designed for the unpredictable, costly exposure every business must consider as part of its risk management program. While many pollution-related incidents are preventable, there is always the risk of an unexpected spill, contamination, or environmental condition. Environmental insurance policies cover:
● clean-up requirements
● first- and third-party claims for bodily injury
● property damage, and
● associated legal expenses resulting from pollution or contamination events for which your business may become responsible - whether such events are "sudden and accidental" or "gradual.”
Clients in every industry are subject to environmental risk and liability, which makes the need for a customized pollution insurance program essential in managing their exposures. SWG’s environmental insurance products provide our clients with the broad coverage they need to protect their business from clean-up costs, defense costs, and legal obligations.
At SWG we provide customized coverage for Premises Environmental Liability, Contractor’s Environmental Liability as well as coverage for Storage Tanks. Often, we provide all three categories under one customized policy, with limits starting at $250,000 up to $5,000,000 (higher limits upon referral).
Protecting Premises from Sudden and Gradual Pollution Events
SWG ENVIRO Premises Environmental Liability (PEI) policy addresses the risk of pollution arising at specified premises. Coverage is provided on a claims-made and reported basis. Our Premises Environmental Liability is customizable to include “Insured Work” and/or Aboveground and Underground Storage Tanks.
Premises Environmental Liability:
● Sudden and gradual pollution events
● Broad definition of pollutant including asbestos & mould
● Illicit abandonment of pollutants
● On-site and off-site clean-up costs
● Restoration costs
● Emergency response costs
● Natural resource damages
● Compensation for third party bodily injury and property damage
● Nuisance claims
● Civil fines and penalties
● Punitive damages, where insurable by law
● Legal defense costs
● Retroactive cover for historic work
● Transported cargo
● Work conducted off-site at third party facilities
● Waste disposal / Non-owned disposal sites
● Contractual liability e.g. in leases
● Above and underground storage tanks on your premises
Includes but is not limited to the list below. Contact us if you don’t see what you are looking for.
● Oil and gas
● Petrochemical and chemical
● Electricity generation, transmission and distribution
● Power and water utilities
● Waste management
● Logistics, transportation, and warehousing
● Real estate
● Healthcare – Retirement Homes, Nursing Homes, etc.
● Education – Childcare, Daycare, etc.
Visit our policy page for more details. Or, if you didn’t see what you were looking for on this list, contact us.
Content is current as of the date of broadcast and is subject to change without notice.